Thursday, July 14, 2005

Crazy Cooter says, "Stay Home!"

Ben Jones played "Cooter" on the old "Dukes of Hazzard" TV show. He also served as in the United States Congress from the Fourth District of Georgia and served two terms before redistricting took his seat. He recently posted an open letter on his website and gave his own review of the upcoming "Dukes" movie:

Unless they clean it up before the August 5th release date I would strongly recommend that true blue Dukes fans hold their noses and pass this one up. And whatever you do, don't take any youngsters to see it. As plain as I can put it, the only thing this movie shares with our show is the title. Oh, they do have the General Lee flying through the air, although according to the New York Times, they didn't even use stunt drivers.

Sure it bothers me that they wanted nothing to do with the cast of our show, but what bothers me much more is the profanity laced script with blatant sexual situations that mocks the good clean family values of our series. Now, anybody who knows me knows that I'm not a prude. But this kind of toilet humor has no place in Hazzard County. Rather than honoring our legendary show, they have chosen to degrade it.

It appears these "good ol' boys" that were "never meanin' no harm" have left the 80s and moved into the more depraved 21st century. I remember watching this TV show EVERY Friday night but don't remember a lot of details. As a child, much of what we saw went right over our heads. I remember Daisy Duke but can't remember the dialogue and the sexual innuendo, if there was any to start with. I think Enos didn't catch whatever was siad.

It appears to me that a greater concern would be a show about moonshiners showing a blatant disregard for the law and constantly evading the cops. Of course, the "authorities" of that county were pretty crooked, as well (kind of a "sheriff of Nottingham" type situation).


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with him, but it seems a bit duplicitous coming from a politician who accepted money from abortion rights and gay activist groups, to be offended by "cussin' and innuendo" doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, point is the movie is crap. As a general rule, I'm very cautious about the movies I see. I read a lot of reviews and don't take the movie trailers at face value. I don't need to read any reviews to know this movie is going to be a trashy 90 minutes of film. The cast gives that away. I'm afraid that many people my age will go see it and probably take their kids as well because they loved The Dukes of Hazzard as a kid so the movie must be just as good. It's just another example of the need for us (especially Christians) to be more discerning in the entertainment choices we make. And we thought Coy and Vance were the worst things to ever happen to the General Lee. By the way, I saw Cooter on Scarborough Country the other night and he just seemed genuinely concerned that people were going to go see this movie without realizing how it had been changed.