Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Top 100 Movie Lines of All Time

The "American Film Institute" is celebrating one hundred years of cinema and offering lists-a-plenty. Their latest one is the Top 100 Lines of all time. Here is the Top 20:

20 Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. CASABLANCA 1942

19 I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! NETWORK 1976

18 Made it, Ma! Top of the world! WHITE HEAT 1949

17 Rosebud. CITIZEN KANE 1941

16 They call me Mister Tibbs! IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT 1967

15 E.T. phone home. E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL 1982

14 The stuff that dreams are made of. THE MALTESE FALCON 1941

13 Love means never having to say you're sorry. LOVE STORY 1970

12 I love the smell of napalm in the morning. APOCALYPSE NOW 1979

11 What we've got here is failure to communicate. COOL HAND LUKE 1967

10 You talking to me? TAXI DRIVER 1976

9 Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night. ALL ABOUT EVE 1950

8 May the Force be with you. STAR WARS 1977

7 All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup. SUNSET BLVD. 1950

6 Go ahead, make my day. SUDDEN IMPACT 1983

5 Here's looking at you, kid. CASABLANCA 1942

4 Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. THE WIZARD OF OZ 1939

3 You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been

somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. ON THE WATERFRONT 1954

2 I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse. THE GODFATHER 1972

and finally, coming in at #1 . . .

1 Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn. GONE WITH THE WIND 1939


Chronologically, the ballot spans from 1927, with the first full-length sound film, THE JAZZ SINGER: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!" to 2002 and "My precious" from THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS. The 2002 quote is the only quote to make the list from the 21st Century.

Nine quotes from the 1990s made the list, including Swarzeneggar's "Hasta La Vista, Baby" and "Life is like a box of chocolates" and "Show me the money." "Yo Adrian" came in at #80.

CASABLANCA has seven quotes in AFI's ballot, making it the most represented film.

THE WIZARD OF OZ is the second most represented film with six quotes.

Humphrey Bogart has 10 quotes on the ballot, the most represented male actor. Al Pacino and the Marx Brothers follow with six quotes each and Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, James Stewart, Woody Allen and Jack Nicholson are all represented with five quotes each. Funnymen Peter Sellers and Mike Myers each have four quotes represented.

Bette Davis, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland and Vivien Leigh each have four memorable movie quotes on the ballot.

Billy Wilder is the top represented writer with 13 quotes, some co-written with I.A.L. Diamond, Charles Brackett and Raymond Chandler. Frances Ford Coppola has nine quotes represented, with seven coming from THE GODFATHER Trilogy. Mario Puzo, Coppola's collaborator on THE GODFATHER trilogy, has a total of eight quotes. Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch each have seven quotes (all from CASABLANCA), followed by Woody Allen with six and Cameron Crowe, William Goldman and Stanley Kubrick with five quotes each.

1939 is the most represented year with 19 movie quotes. 1942 has 17 quotes and 1980 has 12.

You can read the entire list here.

Here's a little extra at no cost - The Top 10 Movies of all time:

The Complete List:

1. CITIZEN KANE (1941)

2. CASABLANCA (1942)

3. THE GODFATHER (1972)

4. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)

5. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962)

6. THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

7. THE GRADUATE (1967)

8. ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)

9. SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)

10. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)


No comments: