Friday, January 06, 2006

I must be the chief of all troglodytes!

I read of a recent art award and was left dumbfounded. See if you can understand. Here is the headline from the BBC:

A white gentlemen's urinal
has been named
the most influential modern art work
of all time.

According to the article, "Marcel Duchamp's Fountain came top of a poll of 500 art experts in the run-up to this year's Turner Prize which takes place on Monday." Runners-up include works by Picasso and Andy Warhol (I've actually heard of those two!).

What really struck me is the amount of work the "artist" had to put in to "create" this work of art. According the report, he must be been mentally exhausted after he did this:
"Duchamp shocked the art establishment when he took the urinal, signed it and put it on display in 1917."

That's IT! He found a discarded urinal, used a 1917-equivalent to a Sharpie and then he's made ART! And very expensive art at that. In this article, the work is valued at . . .

wait for it . . .




wait for it . . .





THREE POINT SIX MILLION DOLLARS!!!

I'll be returning to my cave now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't even sit on this one. I could see that kind of money if it had that little deodorizer in the bottom of it that said "Say No to Drugs" or something like that, but this is the "Plain Jane" model.

Jim Pemberton said...

This must make http://www.urinal.net/ the most artistic site on the web. Check out the top ten urinals, some of which I think are much more artistic than this one. (Warning: the site has some occasional vulgar language.)