To work on this growth in the ability to think, I have invited my children to do some summer reading. For the two oldest (12 and 10), they have been reading two different versions of Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ." The 12 year old is reading the student's version and the ten year old is reading the kids' version. Tonight, before we leave for vacation, they will take a test I made and will earn spending money for their vacation based on how well they do on the test. You may object to this form of reward but you do with your kids what you want to do. Here is the test I am giving them:
- Suppose someone approached you and said, “Jesus is not God.” What would you say to defend the Christian belief that Jesus is God?
- Is it possible that Jesus was merely a “good moral teacher?” Why or why not?
- Do you have to trust in Christ alone for salvation? Is there any other way to eternal life?
- What are some of the prophecies that Jesus fulfilled that shows that He is the Messiah of the Old Testament?
- When were the gospels written? What are some evidences that show that we can trust their authority and reliability?
- What would you say to someone who questioned the reliability of the resurrection of Jesus Christ?
For the two youngest children (almost 8 years, almost 5 years), I just ordered three of these little books. They are fantastic books written at that age level discussing deep subjects like the Trinity, the Bible, the Gospel and the Christian's mission. If you have small children, I encourage you to purchase these for about $6-7 each. Each of these books were endorsed by some very strong men in the evangelical community (who also wrote the foreword in the volumes), such as Al Mohler and Earl Radmacher. How well would you have done on that little quiz? I will post their answers later and let you know how they did.
How well would you have done on that little quiz? I will post their answers later and let you know how they did.
Personal Note: The "Gospel" book had a little bit of synergism mixed in but still a good quality book for my "little thinkers."