Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Report on Patterson/Mohler Discussion

As stated long ago, the discussion on Calvinism within the SBC finally took place at this year's Pastor's Conference between Southwestern Seminary president Paige Patterson (my president while I was at Southeastern) and Southern Seminary president Al Mohler. Transcripts of this will be available soon but in the meantime, here is a fair and objective assessment of what went on by Tom Ascol (a truly gracious man).

The comments left at the end of the post were not always so fair but everyone's got an opinion. I did find it troublesome if Dr. Morris Chapman said what he said when he took the podium to deliver the report from the Executive Committee. Instead, it APPEARS that he took the opportunity to scold all the Calvinist meanies in the crowd. If true - that's bad form!

(NOTE: Tom Ascol just commented on the comments by Chapman. He wrote:
Morris Chapman addressed it (Calvinism), not in a mean-spirited way, but in an attempt to be humorous. I was not offended but appreciated what I think he was trying to do. BTW--he also made a negative comment about elders, but again, it wasn't mean. When I saw him later I shook his hand, told him I appreciated much of what he said and looked forward to getting home to discuss it with my elders! We both enjoyed a good laugh. His spirit was great.
Another blogger at the convention took extensive notes during the Mohler-Patterson discussion and writes an abridged transcript here. Sounds like the breakout session was handled very professionally and cordially, as should have been expected by these two men.

If you want the real thing, you can order an audio recording of the discussion here.

No comments: